When offered a hickey, you’d be better off saying no fangs - as a woman in New Zealand found out, after a lingering love bite left her partially paralysed.
Teddy Wu, a doctor at Christchurch Hospital in Christchurch, New Zealand, recalled the case in the New Zealand Journal of Medicine. Apparently the woman, who at age 44 has no excuse for such antics, arrived at the hospital and couldn’t move her arm. But the only possible cause was a hickey over an artery in her neck.
‘Because it was a lovebite there would be a lot of suction,’ Dr Wu writes.
‘Because of the physical trauma it had made a bit of bruising inside the vessel,’ he continued.
‘There was a clot in the artery underneath where the hickey was. The clot had gone into the woman's heart and caused a minor stroke that led to the loss of movement,’ he said.
Luckily for both the woman’s health and reputation, an anticoagulant drug cleared up the clot in a week. That should learn her – love may hurt, but it shouldn’t bite.